Great news this week when it was confirmed that out of 19,000 small charities that applied for a place in the Virgin London Marathon only 500 were awarded and yes, you have guessed it, Alexander Jansons Foundation have been awarded a place. How great is that…
Now our problem is who is going to run on behalf of the charity ?
- Last year 36,621 runners were registered.
- 36,229 runners actually started the race.
- 392 runners dropped out of the race
- 365 runners didn’t finish
- ¾ million people lined the marathon course
- The BBC coverage of the event lasted 7 hours
- 43% of television viewers watched the coverage of the marathon
- 8 million has been raised for the London Marathons own charity to date
- In 2013 the average raised by an individual runner was £2,500
- In 2014 the average raised by an individual runner was £2,407
- £53.2 million was raised by the runners in 2014
- £261 million is the total raised in the last 5 years by Virgin